Wake up democracy!

It's time to end the apathy and wake up. We should be writing letters to the editor, posting blogs, donating money, and pushing our officials to wake up and take action!

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Barack Obama Elected President!

(The Constitution Shall Survive.)

At 9:00 pm MST tonight, CNN called the election for Barack Obama. The writing was on the wall ever since Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Virginia were called for Sen. Obama earlier tonight.

Even though it had been obvious, I heard the words, and started crying. Now mind you, I don’t cry often, but this was something I will never forget.

My feelings arise from such deep sources: 143 years after slavery was abolished, 44 years after the 1964 Civil Rights Act, and after eight years of George W. Bush and his assault on our nation’s constitution and our world image, this country, which twice elected Mr. Bush, has turned to intelligent new leadership.

After a stolen election in 2000, and after years of Republican dirty tricks dating back to the Nixon administration, the Democrats have won back the United States government. Not just the presidency, but also dramatic gains in the House and Senate. The next vacancies on the United States Supreme Court will now be filled by a constitutional scholar, not a man who ignored international law and invaded Iraq.

Tonight, I am proud to be an American. And dammit, it’s been way too long since I could say that! America has changed....Yes We Can!

1 Comments:

  • At 11:03 AM, Blogger Chris said…

    Amen, bro! That's just how I feel, a level of pride in my country that I haven't had for some time (8 years, give or take).

    Personally, I didn't lose it until this morning, when I watched our President-elect's acceptance speech on YouTube. And I still might have kept it together, if it weren't for that darn 106-year-old woman. ;-)

    We made it, man. It took too long, and it was still too close, but it's done. The Supreme Court will be safe. America's image will be repaired. And yeah, that ol' Constitution might start getting some respect again.

    YES WE DID!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home